Is your pet "slowing down"? This is likely arthritis!
Every animal will develop arthritis.
It is a painful and depressing condition that is commonly mistaken by owners as slowing down.
What are signs of arthritis or slowing down?
One or all of:
• Difficulty standing from a sitting position
• Getting skinny back legs
• Reluctance/ hesitation to jump
• Slowing down on walks. Stopping to sniff more! (not less)
• Less excited when owners come home
• Sleeping longer
• Becoming snappy/ more grumpy
• Difficulty climbing stairs
• Taking longer to sit/ lay down
Cats get arthritis too!
Look for signs of:
• Less grooming/ more mats appearing
• Sleeping more
• Not jumping onto high surfaces as frequently
• Landing with more of a 'thud' after jumping off a high surface.
Medium to large breed dogs are often euthanased solely due to its debilitating effects. This is very hard on owners (and vets) as the patient is often alert and of sound mind.
There is no way to stop arthritis, but there are ways to slow it down. We educate our clients about this debilitating condition and we offer the best treatment options to keep your pet active, healthy and long-lived.
We offer synovan (pentosan) injections as an excellent first line treatment for arthritis. After an initial course, synovan injections are given monthly.
If you think your pet may be suffering from arthritis or slowing down, come and see us! We will discuss the best plan to keep this painful condition at bay!